Sunday, October 2, 2011

Celebratory Gluten-Free Pancakes

Pancakes that won't make me sick. They also tasted good.

Sunday used to be the day where I slept in late, and would hopefully stumble out of bed in time to get to the second service for church. Given that I was at school Monday through Friday, and usually spent my entire Saturday doing homework, Sundays were reserved for catching up on sleep and finishing up any assignments due the next day. Now, though, Sundays mean work. Usually six or eight hours of it.

I'm working at a hotel now, and the weekends are always busy. I can usually get to church, provided we go to the early service, but even that is pretty iffy, as there is a lot to do at my job that day.

Today, however, was my day off! Because the Man and I no longer see each other much on the weekends, this was a cause for celebration. And on any celebratory day, there should be a good breakfast. With bacon and pancakes. Even if you have food allergies.

Here is what I came up with this morning. These do crumble quite easily, but they generally stay intact while flipping them. They were very light and fluffy, despite being whole-grain.

They tasted fairly plain, thus you can top them with anything you like, such as maple syrup, or jam, heck, use them in a sandwich! If you think a plain pancake is boring, add some cinnamon and vanilla. I used sorghum, millet, and quinoa flours, and they were very good. Also, I fried bacon on the griddle first, and did not clean off the bacon grease. While camping this summer, we figured out that pancakes are really good fried in bacon grease. Just a friendly hint, if you like and can eat bacon.


Celebratory gluten-free pancakes

1 cup of GF flour (5 oz/140 grams)
1 TBS baking powder
½ tsp salt

2 TBS oil
2 TBS Agave nectar (or honey or maple syrup)
1 egg
½ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond)
1-3 TBS water, if needed

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add in the oil, agave, egg, and non-dairy milk. Stir together. If the batter is very thick, thin it with water, adding one tablespoon at a time.

Heat your griddle to about 350 degrees F. Or, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Pour a small amount of batter onto the heated surface, as small pancakes are less likely to crumble when turning.

The pancakes are ready to be flipped when a few bubbles appear on the surface.

Makes 15 small pancakes, serves 3.



 Fry some bacon first, unless, you know, you don't eat pork.
These pancakes are ready to be flipped.
 Pancakes! 
 This was breakfast. It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment