Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gluten Free strawberry desert, two ways


I have been absent from this blog for a long time. School work backed up on me, as well as applying for jobs, presenting research, and so on.

All of this work has culminated in my graduating from university! I officially have my B.S. in biology. (The Man and I find it amusing that he is B.A. because of his history degree, but my degree is just B.S? Yay for puns.) I will also have some more time in the foreseeable future.

Back onto the subject of graduation, one of my gluten-free friends threw a shindig for me. It was lots of fun, and I made desert. Then I had a pint of strawberries left, so I made desert for my husband's workplace, where there are a lot of people who can't have gluten or dairy. I felt domestic and it was weird.

Both recipes received very good reviews, so I am passing them on to you.


Gluten-free (GF) strawberry rhubarb crumble

Adapted from this recipe.

Fruit filling:

4 cups chopped strawberries

1.5 cups chopped rhubarb

2-4 Tbs granulated sugar (two was perfect for eating with ice-cream, but rather tart on its own)

2 tsp cornstarch

½ tsp ground ginger


Crumb topping:

¾ cup GF Bisquick

¼ cup brown sugar

stick of cold butter

1 tsp GF vanilla extract

½ tsp ground ginger

½ tsp cinnamon


Toss fruit with dry ingredients, and let sit for 15 minutes.


Preheat oven to 375 F.


Blend together ingredients for the topping with a pastry cutter until the mixture looks like crumbs. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.


Place fruit mixture into a 9x9 dish. Evenly distribute topping over the fruit. Bake for 30-35 minutes.






Gluten and Dairy-Free Strawberry Cobbler

This was made on a whim, so there are no making-of photos. Disclaimer: I didn't actually get to eat any of this, but I was told that everyone in the office enjoyed it.

Fruit filling:


4 cups strawberries, cut into pieces

2 tsp cornstarch

2 Tbs granulated sugar

1 tsp GF vanilla extract

zest of 1 Meyer lemon

½ tsp ginger


Biscuit topping


¾ cup GF bisquick

1/3 cup coconut milk

3 tbs granulated sugar

1 tsp GF vanilla extract

¼ tsp ginger


Toss cut strawberries with dry ingredients until well-distributed. Allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes.


Preheat oven to 375 F.


While berries are sitting, combine the ingredients for the biscuit topping together in a bowl. Stir together with a fork or pastry cutter until the dough holds together in clumps.


Place berry mixture into a 9x9 inch glass pan, spreading evenly. Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the berries, so that it covers most of the berries. Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment